Monday, February 20, 2012

I did NOT inhale!

What a tactical error I made. It was my 5th half marathon  - I was worried about my foot and left leg. We were a little late due to parking issues and I forgot to use my asthma inhaler 20 minutes pre-run.

It started out fine, chaos start but my foot was OK. About 1/2 mile in my left leg started stiffening up - I figured I'd run at least a few miles and if it didn't improve I'd have my first D.N.F. (Did Not Finish). No big deal. The leg started to loosen up a little - it was gonna be touchy. It would be better if I could catch my breath. But I couldn't. It felt like a weight on my chest - what was going on?

Yeah - I figured it out around mile 4 and used my inhaler. But by then the lungs were not going to cooperate. It was a rough slog. Lots of walking, lots. Slowest half ever. I contemplated bailing at every spot there was a volunteer with a flag. But it's not a DNF. I'm kinda proud of myself for that - I stuck it out.

Of course, I had a complete asthma attack as I crossed the finish - the spectators (what was left of them) - were a little freaked out. 

Lesson learned. Use the inhaler - even if you're still trying to find a parking spot. Breathing is critical!

No comments:

Post a Comment