Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wardrobe Malfunction

Saturday we did 12 miles in my hometown of West Brookfield. Actually, we also ran in North Brookfield and New Braintree on that run. The run would have been perfect except for one thing. The running shoes.

My New Balance 1080's - it's not like they were new - I thought they'd be fine. About 2 miles in I thought it was a sock wrinkle on top of my foot. I would adjust the sock, run a few feet, re-adjust, run a few more feet, untie shoe, retie shoe. Nothing was working. So, I took my sock off. It did feel a little better - once I loosened the laces. I think the real problem was that the tongue and the sock were both wrinkling and pressing on top of my delicate foot bones. Very, very painful.

I knew removing the sock was going to probably give me blisters, and the cold breeze coming through the mesh was kind of weird - but I was going to finish the run. By the end I was in some pain. The inevitable blister. When I finally stopped and took my shoe off - the collar of the shoe was soaked in blood. I had an inch long raw spot on the side of my heel, just under the ankle bone. Every shower since then has been burning pain. I have run twice since. There's a visible bruise on the top of my foot that is still tender - the raw spot is bearable while running - it's the pain from the water that is the worst.

Take away message: not sure - I can run through pain but not shower through it? At least, not quietly! Who new I could hit such high notes?

No comments:

Post a Comment